Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Re-wind, baby, Re-wind

It's 2009 (no, I'm not just discovering that -- just stating it to make a point). That means that I will be 39 years old this year.

And that means that I will be 40 next year.

And to be honest, I'm struggling with that a little bit.

Wasn't it just yesterday that I had my whole life ahead of me? And people were asking, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" rather than "What is your line of work?" (read "What have you done with your life?"). Chris will tell you that I've been annoyingly contemplative about approaching the end of my 30's, wishing I had accomplished more, wishing that there was more glam and less fat and more cash in the bank. That I would have had that magic moment where I figured out what the heck my "calling" is...

Today I'm "Rewinding" back to a post that I wrote 18 months ago about having a purpose in life (isn't that deep?), as a reminder to myself that my life is exactly as it should be, and that even seemingly tedious tasks are valid and necessary. And being faithful to those less-than-glamorous tasks can be the thing that makes a life great. Here it goes...

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 11, 2007

Pass me that Hammer

This morning I heard a blurb on the radio called "Hometown Hero" where people call in and talk about the impact other people have had on their community. It's refreshing to hear about people caring for people, isn't it?

So when we are inspired by others making an impact, the rest of us have to ask the million dollar question. And don't act like you haven't asked it...

"What is my purpose and how can I make a difference?"

We all have an insatiable need to know the meaning and purpose that was tagged to us when life began. To feel like we've somehow made the world better. To know that our existence is not in vain or a waste of breath.

I am lucky to know a lot of "accomplishers". Entrepreneurs who made their first million before the age of thirty. A surgeon who holds people's lives in his hands every day. An attorney who handles mergers and acquisitions for multi-million dollar companies, and a banker who analyzes the validity of those transactions. Another attorney who defends doctors in medical malpractice lawsuits. A real estate agent with the Midas touch.

Living the extra-ordinary life can pale in comparison to these exciting accomplishers and I sometimes wonder when my big AH-HA moment will arrive, where I finally know, "OH, this is what I was meant to do!" As if the drum roll will sound and everyone will break out into a High School Musical moment of succinct choreography and verse.

And then it hit me. Someone had to build the Nina, Pinta, and the Santa Maria in order for America to be discovered. Someone had to birth and raise Billy Graham. Someone had to introduce Jazz to Louis Armstrong. We don't know much about these people, but they were future-builders. If they hadn't shown up for work, the course of history would have changed.

The truth is that we are all future-builders, critical pieces of the puzzle of life that will keep going long after we are gone. Some may get more notoriety and time at the mic. Others just build. Quietly. Their names never to be known. But their boats are sailed, their children preach the gospel, their pupils make music. And the world is changed.

So for today, I am content to build. I will keep hammering on this bridge, nail by nail. Not knowing who will someday cross.

7 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, the world would say that you (and I) are not THAT successful, but I'd suggest that your commitment to God and your husband and your child and your job and your friends makes you more successful than any millionaire who cannot maintain a relationship and won't take anything when he/she returns to dust.

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post Christie! I also am struggling with what my purpose is. I just hit that mark and it is a hard one! But, you are only as old as you feel - and I still feel 23!

    I can tell just from your blog that you are a wonderful mom and wife. Those roles cannot be replaced in your family's lives!

    XOXOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful reminder - one that we all need occasionally. We struggle to find answers for things we will probably never understand, but I think your "AHA" moment was rewinding to your old post. I am a quote collector (and of course, I can't remember the exact quote or the person who said it) but the tone is "find what you love and then go do that because THAT is what the world needs".

    ReplyDelete
  4. An oldie, but a goodie!! I have loved every single thing you have ever written. I think we are each other's biggest fans....heehee.

    Remember when we both struggled so much with our 27th birthdays? What were we thinking!

    If I could figure out how to re-post something I had already written, I would. But since I can't even manage to put my award from you on my blog, despite Becca's attempt to help me, I don't know that I will get to participate.

    I was so missing you today!! I owe you a phone call and an email.....it's been a very surreal couple of weeks.

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love
    Love
    LOVE

    this post. Just what I needed today. Brilliant and inspired. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt that way about turning 30 in January. I was felt like I had wasted my 20s and should have done more or had more of a purpose to my life. I understand completely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I have an award for you on my blog! come on over and check it out!

    ReplyDelete