Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Where I'm From

I’m from Tinker Toys and rotary phones, from The Carpenters coming to life in my basement and discovering the Sound of Music for the first time.

I’m from dogwood and honeysuckle and endless summer days in a backyard of mighty oaks.

I’m from chores and Sunday drives. I’m from homemade sweet rolls and formal dinners with cloth napkins.

I’m from God’s grace and forgiveness and don’t judge lest ye be judged.

I’m from secret clubs and roller skating on the driveway and Are You there God, It’s Me Margaret.

I’m from Goodbyes and Hellos and new homes every 2 years. I’m from Texas - DC - Hawaii - Tokyo and home is where your heart is, along with a well-stamped passport.

I’m from family dinners around the table and meals that begin with prayer.

I’m from the Tuckers and Hennebergers who could not be more different and a discovery that I’m a little bit of both.

I’m from ‘it’s best to conform’ and a growing determination to be my own me that’s just a little different from anyone else.

I’m from stubborn and perfection and loving and laughter and fighting and always making up before the sun goes down.

I’m from stories that were told over and over but never written down and old black and white photos stored in a cardboard box. I’m from never forgetting who I am, whose I am, and where I come from. And being satisfied with all three.



3 comments:

  1. I love it!

    I'm from Are You There God...It's me Margaret too.

    So happy that you played along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I love it!

    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have the best post. Loved hearing about where you are from.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete